Check out this budget-friendly chicken pot pie recipe. Made with leftover chicken with carrots, celery and etc!
Ingredients you’ll need
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 c. butter, melted
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chicken, cooked and chopped (leftovers from Roast Chicken is great)
- 2 – 4 Ready Made Crusts (or use your own recipe)
- Begin to saute in a large skillet the celery, onions, and carrots in a butter until tender.
- Next is to add the flour into the skillet and stir until smooth. Then cook for about one minute while stirring constantly.
- Pour the evaporated milk and broth and cook while stirring constantly until think and bubbly.
- Add in the chicken peas, salt and pepper to taste.
- Then divide the mixture into half and store the other half in the freezer to use for another time.
- Into the bottom of the pie crust, place the mixture and cover it with the top crust. Then seal the edges and make some small slits on top of the crust to allow the steam to escape.
- Finally bake uncovered for about 30 minutes and bake covered with foil for another 30 minutes. Allow to cool for about 30 minutes before serving.